Live Laugh Love

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about dancing in the rain.

Saturday, September 22, 2012

Big Cottonwood Canyon Half, the good the bad the ugly

Fortunately my neighbors were running the same race so they graciously gave me a ride. I think the one thing that I stress about most is driving to races. I get so nervous that I won't find parking, I'll be late, or get lost so it was nice to take the stress off.
This race was another early morning wake up call, 4am! We got to the buses about 4:45am and made it 11 miles up Big Cottonwood at 5:30am.  It was pretty dark and freezing. I had brought warm clothes but it wasn't enough, luckily the race provided space blankets and they helped so much. I chatted with my neighbor, ate a banana, and before I knew it, it was time to start around 6:33am.
Their were pacers at this race, but I had to choose between a 2 hour pacer or 1:45 pacer. My goal was to run it in 1:50 so I started with the 1:45 pacers. Um, it killed me! By mile 4 I already felt tired and worn out. I started freaking out because I thought I blew the race. I started walking and even kind of tearing up. Some nice gentleman stopped and asked if I was okay, I said I was fine, but in my head my pride was hurt. I wanted to quit. If I had had my phone with me I would've called Josh and told him to come get me. Luckily, I didn't so I decided to get over myself and the 23 some people that just flew by me and told myself, " Run your own race."  I put my music on and followed the white line on the road. I ran extremely slow and just talked myself into getting to the next water station(2 miles away). I stopped at every aid station, got water, and just took it easy up till mile 8. 
I finally started feeling okay, my side ache was gone, and I finally started enjoying the scenery and had realized that the time really had gone by so fast. I couldn't believe I was already almost to mile 10.  Mile 10 I spotted the 2 hour pacer and was so ecstatic! I couldn't believe I had caught up to him and had a chance to beat my time. Did I mention this race is ALL downhill? At mile 10 it started descending a lot and I thought to myself, "I can do this, just keep it up." So I turned my music up louder and just ran.

I crossed the finish line at 8:23am and they didn't have a clock like other races had, so I just heard the announcer as I crossed say 1:53.  But according to when we started(6:33am) and my watch, I think my official time will be closer to 1:50!! I can't believe I made my goal and I'm so glad I didn't decide to give up. Mentally, this race was by far my hardest.
Thanks again to all my family and supporters. Especially these cuties=)

1 comment:

  1. Way to go and not give up! Its good that you were able to slow down a bit but still reach your goal!