Right now baby food isn't that expensive because J only eats solids twice a day and only eats half of the size 2 foods. So the 90 cent containers (2 a pack) last us 4 days. Not too bad, but when he starts eating more, it will add up.
I make J his fruits and then I buy his vegetables. Since he's not too fond of the green vegetables or carrots either, I'm not about to make him squash or sweet potatoes on a daily basis. For now I stick to fruits that are in season that I already buy for Josh and I . Apples and Bananas.
What I did:
1. peel and dice apple(I used two med. gala apples)
2. Put them in a sauce pan
3. add 1/3 cup water
4. 1/8 tsp of cinnamon (optional)
5. Let simmer until apples are very tender, stirring occasionally (about 10 min)
6. I used my magic bullet blender (added all contents of pan)
7. Place in ice cube tray w/ cover(I'm sure you could use tin foil to cover...)
|This is only applesauce. The bananas are already frozen in a bag.|
8. Let them freeze and then you can put them in a bag labeled apples and the date. They're good for 3 months frozen. Bananas are even easier, you just peel and blend and then steps 6-8.
For more detailed info, you can visit this site where I got the recipe from here.
I typically use 2 cubes a meal so 2 apples and 1 large banana lasts us about 2 weeks. About 90 cents lasts 2 weeks instead of 4 days. Sounds good to me!